Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, March 21, 2016

And Perhaps

And Perhaps
(“Whoever wants to save his life will give up true life. But whoever gives up his life for me and for the Good News will have true life forever.” Mark 8:35)

Protective, my sentences are guarded;
defensive, my paragraphs precise;
wrestling, I accept few invitations;
guessing, my statements entice
more questions.

Few understand my occasional stutters,
unplanned conversation is quicksand.
Words are ammunition; mouths, keyboards,
pens and paper blaze with fiery offense
the surer I am

All the world is a neighborhood
and not
a conflagration of gangs and nations.

The poorer I am
of the certainties that
every earthly rubric
has a higher and conflicting rule
of peace by laying down our swords,
and taking up

Our neighbor’s plowshares, across the street,
the stream, the river, the border

And making matters worse

Expecting to speak well of life through dying,
that my best thoughts still keep me
one step inside the line


That Jesus would have me cross
in time to heaven’s tempo, at, perhaps
my own personal loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.