Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Hid Away from the Enthusiasm

(image at http://brianzahnd.com/category/jesus/)

Hid Away from the Enthusiasm

(“Jesus therefore, perceiving that they were about to come and take him by force, to make him king, withdrew again to the mountain by himself.” John 6:15)

I.

Hand me the power, wrap it in brown newsprint,
if no one will be king, it might as well be me.
Find me the rulebook, set it on my desk,
if no one will read it, I will edit it for free.
Buy me a new suit, tailor it perfectly,
then I will wear it fiercely, a lion, a tiger,
an animal louder that hunts alone.
Bring me an arsenal, prepare me for bloodshed,
the first sword I brandish will not tarnish before
used by some opposite instead.
Lay out my best words, digital or scribed,
poached and borrowed, paint them broadly
on highway signs; be sure each traveler subscribes
to my etched denouements.

Map the best lake possible, preferably white and
windswept, and I will cross it, if I must, barefoot.

Next (what is the quantity and the order so far?)
be sure to bag it all slowly, in the express lane.
Let my name be clearly seen on my credit,
my license to drive, social security and
preacher’s club card. Run these errands
in the heat of the day, pass out the gospel
exactly as I’ve dictated. Find a way to
miraculously lock the door from behind and
let my name and my plans stand above each
revolving door. We will schedule the rally once
the funds are raised.

If no one will be king, it might as well be me.

II.

It was in this narrow valley, Jesus, between two miracles
(multiplied meals and a walk upon the waves)
they wanted a king, but You


Found the undisclosed cave near the mountain’s peak,
and waited
until the crowd’s crush had passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.