Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Quiet Wisdom

“Who in your community is understanding and wise? Let his example, which is marked by wisdom and gentleness, blaze a trail for others.” James 3:13

I recently enjoyed lunch with a good friend. As topic flowed into topic the name of a well known Christian leader came up. My friend expressed concern that this leader had become somewhat arrogant in the last few years. Not having followed his ministry recently, I did a bit of research and I now think I understand what she meant. There are ripples of harshness that run through even his public materials.


I don’t mean to judge a brother in Christ who I barely know, but it illustrates, for me, the antithesis of the sort of wisdom James encourages for followers of Jesus. The leader in question may not be arrogant; so much as he has chosen unfortunate language. But, the appearance of arrogance has caused a bad connection between his message and what some hearers actually receive.

In communication, this is termed “noise”. Noise is anything that comes between the communicator’s message and the intended audience. It can be things as innocent as a cold classroom. The student’s discomfort will color her reception of the teacher’s message. Noise can also be the presumptions made about the speaker. If we have heard negative reports and read an article by that person, we may be pickier than if we had heard nothing at all.

There is some noise over which we have no control. Perhaps there is a flickering light in the room where I am a guest lecturer. That flicker is “noise”, but I have little control over it. Other things might include unknown prejudices of my audience, the mood of an audience member as we begin the communication, or the fact that it is a bright sunny day following weeks of late winter snow. These all can affect the intended communication.

Of course, there is much noise which I can control. James asks us to think about our own humility and gentleness. There is a misconception in communication to I have fallen prey to; if people aren’t responding, speak louder and stronger. The more fidgety my audience, the more I emphasize words and phrases. If it appears listeners are losing interest, whispering to each other, watching the clock, or reading Mad Magazine in the middle of my all-important discourse, I am tempted to raise the volume level, trying to compete with and overcome the “noise” which seems to be distracting my audience.

But, what if that all simply adds to the noise and decreases the intended response I hoped for? What if, when those I’m speaking to are already distracted, that my voice, raised in volume and pitch, only becomes one more part of the “noise” which diminishes any sort of understanding at all.

Have you ever watched a teacher, or any speaker in a fairly uncontrolled situation? Perhaps there has been one disruption after another; people are answering cell phones, texting home for lunch plans, or doing away with yet one more piggy with their Angry Birds. Whispers prattle around the room like the constant drops of rain on a window. What happens when the speaker simply stops and quietly says nothing? Instead of adding to the noise, she waits. Don’t people usually notice what is happening, and, somewhat embarrassed, return their attention to the speaker?

I think that is something like the gentle and wise behavior God is speaking about through James. One who is certain of God’s wisdom does not need to prove it. They feel no need to raise their voice above others. They don’t feel they must prove their great wisdom by calling attention to themselves. For me, I will follow the quiet man or woman who has lost the taste for the pedestals of human recognition.

James goes on to say that heavenly wisdom “centers on purity, peace, gentleness, deference, mercy, and other good fruits untainted by hypocrisy.” Not only are these the qualities I am attracted to when looking for leadership or a mentor, they are the characteristics of one who has learned the peaceful way of trusting Christ in all. More than anything at this point in my life, I care less for position, and would rather be known as a man who exudes the gentle sort of wisdom that reflects Jesus Himself.


And, once I’ve learned humility and bragged about it, I suppose I will have to start all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.