Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Kindness Like a Necklace


“Don’t ever forget kindness and truth. Wear them like a necklace. Write them on your heart as if on a tablet.” Proverbs 3:3

“Slave Free Earth” is a non-profit organization that exists to bring freedom to those caught up in the sex trafficking world. The vision of Will Henderson, its international headquarters are in Patong Beach City on the Island of Puket, Thailand. Phuket is “Grand Central Station” of sex tourism.


The organization’s logo, a raven, is asked about quite often. Ravens are the largest songbird in the world, signifying that we all have “our own song to sing”. For a mission to such a misunderstood part of our world, it is quite appropriate. Ravens are often misunderstood, thought of as pests or even large crows. Instead, they have more in common with hawks and eagles. They never give up. In the Biblical record of Noah, the raven was the first bird sent to find dry land. It would not stop until it found dry land, probably of many weeks.

As a logo for SLE, the raven reminds them that their own mission may be understood at times, as are the recipients of their compassion. It inspires them to have the courage of the eagle or hawk, all the while others may mistake them for something else. The raven is a picture of the determination it will take to make a difference in the world-wide proliferation of sex trafficking. More about the organization’s logo can be obtained from this page on their website. http://slavefreeearth.com/?page_id=2326

After spending some time with Will Henderson my heart was deeply moved. I pastor a small church in rural Southwest Washington and have little personal connection with those Henderson wants to reach. He and his wife Cathy are now in Thailand living day to day, trusting God to direct them in their calling. I wanted to make sure I never forgot them; never failed to pray for them or be an advocate.

I had half-heartedly talked about getting an ear pierced over the last few years. I doubt I would have given it much serious thought apart from having a teen daughter at home as I entered my 50s. But, shortly after spending time with the Hendersons I said, “If I ever get my ear pierced, I know what earring I want. I want a raven!” (My daughter will swear that there was no “if” in my statement at all. She says I said that I was definitely getting my ear pierced.)

Summer turned to fall. Thanksgiving came and went. And, with December on its way our family prepared for Christmas. Our celebration would include only our college daughter, my wife and myself. Sarah had finished her shopping fairly early, putting a small package under the tree for her dad.

We enjoyed the quiet Christmas and unwrapped each others’ gifts. We like to try to guess what our presents might be, and my small package intrigued me. It took me a couple of seconds to recognize what Sarah had given me and, before I could say anything, she said, “They are your raven earrings!” I said, “Wow, now I have to get my ears pierced.” And thus, our controversy about how committed I previously had been to having a tiny needle shot through my ear lobe.

Several weeks later I was in Portland to visit Sarah and we took the time to get my ear pierced. I chose a temporary earring and couldn’t wait until the obligatory six weeks were over so I could replace it with the raven. I now wear it proudly each day, often answering questions about what it is.

For me this serves as an example of writing God’s kindness and truth on my heart and wearing them like a necklace. The physical raven on my ear is simply a reminder of the kindness and truth I hope are also in my heart. It is a tangible expression of my inner commitment and desire to support my friend and his mission with constant prayer. Every time I look in the mirror or just fiddle with my ear, it reminds me why I wear it.

I think we need to make a purposeful decision to act out of kindness and truth. These are qualities that make us pause. We are not allowed to have thought-reflexes that instantly judge motives and actions of others. If I am wearing kindness as a necklace, I am reminded that they desire compassion just as much as I do. If I am writing truth on my heart like a tablet, I am not passing on information that damages other people; especially if I have no knowledge of its reliability.

As followers of Jesus we have made a decision to let His words and ways govern our lives. I am no longer free to act in ways to belittle another person for whom He died. And, even if I agree with a certain position, I am not free to express it in a way that demonizes or puts others down. I am sure Jesus is saddened when I act without thinking about the spiritual jewelry I have promised to wear.

It was the lone Samaritan that stopped and showed kindness to a man beaten and left on the roadside. The two most religious and theologically “correct” men, a priest and a Levite, were the two with the least amount of kindness, taking one look and passing on their way. May we learn to wear the kindness and truth of Christ as badges of our devotion to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.