Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Defense


Defense

(“Be fair to the poor and to orphans. Defend the helpless and everyone in need.” Psalm 82:3)

I heard another story, a friend and a bully;
the bully may win, she wants to exit, stage west,
to another town she knows better than stay
where she must dress to avoid attraction,
find the right friends to get the right reaction,
and refrain from ever being herself best,
herself first, herself created to

Light the places that bullies walk
in the dark.

I took my wife to a show, and my daughter,
and her friend; $50 a seat for orchestra seats
underneath the balcony. “Wicked!” entertained,
richly entertaining a night when we felt, for
two or three hours
that at last we owned the world.

Walking, lightly, chattering and comparing
songs and acting, twists and pairings;
I think I got my bearings just two blocks down:
homeless he sat and barely met my eye. I saw him,
considered his clothing, and walked on. Not without caring,
but what could I do, having my car-full of company and
nothing left after a wellspent birthday out of town.

I heard another story, maybe the same bully, maybe the same girl;
and I would make it safe, a shelter, a red carpet with cameras popping,
interviews stopping her procession while bullies were not allowed to enter
without an invitation. She, and students like her, need to receive their
awards up front with stage lights blaring. This time, after
penciling a mental notation..I would rise

And she would receive, what I know she would earn…

A standing ovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.