Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Last Time I Spoke


Last Time I Spoke

(“The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior!” 2 Samuel 22:47)

Like I was saying the last time I spoke, I’ve changed a lot in 40 years,
do you remember when, and then again, I’m not sure my memories are true.
I sometimes wonder if my recollections are just an image salad
dressed up to suit my mood.

I swear I still care whether people read my poetry. But when I empty myself
on the paper, hurt by words of narcissists, as a rule, I do not mean you,
and would prefer you do not think so. Irony is, please, that the pleasantries
I’ve written for those who heal me well, seldom read my words at all.

So, do you remember me? Can you recall? My hair is shorter and
my head aches pillow to pillow. I’m weary, silent too often, and wish
one or two
would apologize for their misreadings.

Nonetheless, I yet am blessed, I will say it above the sad cloud globing my heart,
for having known you, a few, and many years later, gladder still.

Would you recognize my voice, my name, my theater, my limp, my lame;
would you see what I paint, my morning, my grief, my hope, my belief;
would you credit my faith that weeps more than laughs, that wishes,
grinding teeth privately, joy dance more often, and less before
catastrophe.

I should have ended that strophe with a ? but chose to leave the
.
intact?

Living, though You do not breathe my air,
will You take my tears, reinforce them with phone messages
from the few I do not fear? My search continues, river views or
backward glances, for the happy few I knew unenhanced by
this poly-marathon.

Rock unmoved, I moved too often, at Your bidding I believed,
except the times when rhymes failed mortally, and the dessert
swallowed me mid-family.

Savior, was I born again the way they say? Nearly 40 years ago
You knocked aloud and, apart from the crowd, I nodded assent,
and now below the clouds I need the happy hours I first knew,
a friend, a band, songs and branches, to accompany me
until headaches and heartaches cease this unwelcome dis-ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.